If displayed, a septal correction or septoplasty will be performed. An existing septal defect is often associated not only with a decrease in respiratory function and the associated health problems, but also with cosmetic defects.
Who needs the operation?
A septal curve can occur due to traumatic, physiological, or compensatory problems. Conservative drug treatment smooths the symptoms, but does not resolve the cause of their occurrence. The operation is possible if there are no contraindications in the form of diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular, oncological and infectious diseases. In addition, the patient should not have acute respiratory viral infections and acute respiratory infections at the time of surgery.
The operation is suitable for patients with the following manifestations:
- there are cosmetic defects - curvature, hump, depression;
- breathing is difficult;
- reduced sense of smell;
- frequent overload occurs;
- Dryness in the nasopharynx can be felt all the time;
- During sleep, breathing is accompanied by snoring.
- frequent headaches, nosebleeds;
- reduced attention, memory and performance;
- Respiratory allergy manifests itself.
In this case, the listed signs are recognized in a complex, and the need for immediate elimination of the curvature is decided jointly by the patient and the ENT doctor after the examination, also with the help of an endoscope.
In some cases, the surgery is done because of other health problems. Correcting the septum in the nose in people with bronchial diseases (such as asthma) leads to more complete function of the airways.
Preparation before the operation
You can perform the operation after passing laboratory tests and diagnostic exams:
- general urine and blood tests;
- biochemical blood test;
- blood test for infections;
- blood coagulation test (coagulogram);
- checking blood sugar levels;
- EKG and fluorography.
The list is extended by the decision of the doctor if there are suitable indications in the patient's anamnesis.
In addition, patients should prepare for the operation a few days in advance and refuse:
- taking drugs in the pharmacy that affect blood clotting (aspirin, heparin, diclofenac, indomethacin, etc. );
- drink and smoke;
- Preparing male patients also includes removing facial hair.
An operation can be performed with appropriate pain relief. If the curvature affects tissues and structures without involving the bone part, general anesthesia is not required. In this case, local anesthesia is sufficient. In the case of interventions in the bone structures, the operation is carried out under general anesthesia. The method of pain relief can also be complex.
Modern surgery offers various methods of performing an operation. The classic surgical method and laser surgery for correcting the nasal septum stand out here. At the same time, the traditional use of a scalpel involves resection of the submucosa without external incisions. In the nasal cavity, a mechanical action is performed with a scalpel. An endoscope is used to improve control.
In this way, a superficial cartilage correction or bone smoothing is possible. Due to the fact that there are only incisions on the mucous membrane inside the nasal passages, the final aesthetic effect is very high. Visible seams and later scars are missing here.
In laser septoplasty, as the name suggests, a laser is used. Such an operation is possible with insignificant disorders that do not affect the bones.
Laser surgery is performed in two ways:
- Correction of the septum with a laser scalpel, which cuts healthy tissue in order to subsequently remove excess processes and curvatures.
- Correction by making the septum plastic by heating it to a high temperature with a laser. It is also given the desired shape mechanically. This method can also be called septochondro correction.
Features and advantages of laser technology:
- In this case, local anesthesia is used.
- low complexity of the operation, the duration of which should not last more than half an hour; There are no cuts and deep tissue damage, so the operation is considered bloodless.
- based on the previous paragraph, it follows that tampons, turundas or gel are not used after the operation;
- the cauterizing and at the same time antiseptic effect of the laser guarantees the absence of further infections and also promotes healing;
- Due to the features described above, the rehabilitation time after the operation does not last long and can be carried out on an outpatient basis without supervision around the clock.
- The patient's aesthetic appearance does not suffer during the recovery phase, as there are no severe edema and hematomas.
In contrast to the gentle type of laser surgery to correct the nasal septum, classic surgery involves a longer recovery phase. Immediately after the operation, he must stay in the hospital to monitor the primary results and aid the healing process. The inpatient period can last up to 10 days.
In the first few days, breathing is as difficult as possible, which is caused by edema and the presence of gauze or modern silicone tampons or a special gel in the nasal passages. It is worth noting that due to their structure, silicone tampons help restore the functionality of the respiratory system more effectively.
After removing the materials used, a thorough examination of the nasal passages and septum is carried out. Further recovery will continue outside of the hospital with regular doctor visits for evaluation and use of prescribed medications. The ability to work can be restored at the time of discharge without complications, even if the swelling lasts a little longer.
Possible complications in the postoperative phase:
- pain syndrome;
- bruises and swellings;
- bleeding from the nasal passages;
- violation of the integrity of the septum due to the formation of a through canal that connects the nasal passages;
- Numbness in the maxillofacial area due to nerve damage during surgery;
- purulent inflammation;
- sinusitis, sinusitis, etc. ;
- nose adhesions;
- cloud the sense of smell;
- blood clot;
- Deformation of the nose shape of various types.
In order to alleviate the condition in the rehabilitation phase and avoid possible complications, various rules must be followed:
- do not visit baths / saunas and solariums, do not take hot baths and showers;
- don't stay in the sun long;
- do not consume hot food and drinks.
To avoid excessive pressure and damage you will need:
- restrict physical activity;
- sleep on your back.
Increased fluid intake is recommended to avoid dry mouth (from breathing through the mouth). Prescribed anti-inflammatory and pain relievers and antibiotics should also be used. You should also visit an ENT specialist in good time.
Depending on the institution selected, the cost of the operation is determined. For many patients, the services provided by private medical institutions appear to be the most acceptable. Therefore, the price varies depending on the clinic's price list and the type of surgery. In addition, the medical services provided for a classic operation and the patient's further stay in the clinic during the rehabilitation phase can cost more.